7.30.2012

Environment Specific Configurations

One thing that I have noticed recently is that most of the current crop of change is of the one size fits all variety.

Granted that the level of change is so ramped up at the moment that this is the reality faced by many, but still something should be said about environment specific configurations.

This is on my mind this morning because the place were I work at has turned to the Web 2.0 marketing mantra almost exclusively tossing aside older methods of getting the word out.

I'm not responsible for marketing, and I do not totally disagree with the move except to say that nobody, as far as I am concerned, has proved that Web 2.0 marketing works.

The only thing that can be said for cetrtain is that the people marketing Web 2.0 (aka social media) have been successful.

The reason I mention this marketing move is that it is wholesale. We are now marketing in the same trough as almost ever other entitiy in the industry.

It is also requires our company to fill specific skill sets that we don't necessarily have.

I think a better configuration could have been achieved if our particular strengths, and immediate needs were taken more into account.