1.12.2012

How did Darwin evolve?

In surfing some sites in regards to Darwin, evolution, creationism, et al. an interesting idea came to mind: adaptation works.

By this I don't mean that Darwin's theory of evolution is irrefutable--nothing that far reaching. I simply mean that the kernel of that idea - that something becomes stronger by adapting to its surroundings - is correct.

Even if Darwin's theory of evolution is proven incorrect, the notion of evolving through adaptation is valid. This is especially true with technology and methodology.

It was, probably, one of the cornerstone's of the industrial revolution. So the idea of combining and developing hybrid inventions to fit the surroundings was around by the time Darwin went to the Galapagos.

Did Darwin get his ideas indirectly from the industrial revolution? I didn't find anything about this in my surfing, but it does make me wonder if Darwin would have written his theory prior to the industrial revolution.

The theory of evolution is similar to the way technology develops. I always assumed this overlap was because the ecology of innovation mimics the greater ecology; but now I wonder if we view Darwinian evolution didn't borrow something from the way we create innovation.